Saturday 28 July 2007

THE GREAT ESCAPE -MUM'S STORY

Fleet kept coming to the gate and rushing off again - it took me a while to twig what he was trying to tell me..
After my neighbour had towed my car out of the mud, I hastily thanked him and drove off to continue the search. I went up to the 'topfield' and checked the various access routes but there were no new paw prints so I had to assume they had not gone that way. So I moved on to the golf course - which is a massive area. I flagged down some workmen and asked if they had seen two dogs, and they said, 'Grey ones ?' - my first positive sighting. They pointed me in the right direction, but the sighting was nearly 2 hours old. I made a search and did a lot of shouting - no response. I was desperate - I had to leave for work soon.
I went home and there was a message on my phone - from the dog warden reporting a sighting in the next village - someone had tied them up for long enough to read their collar tags then they had escaped again. I rang back for further information but there wasnt any. I had to ring into work and beg for an hour off to go and investigate this sighting.
I parked up in the next village and asked a lady with a labrador if she had seen them - she said 'No' but took my phone number. I spotted another lady with a Westie and asked if she had seen them. Oh yes, about an hour ago - heading towards the playground. I went to the playground - noone there had seen them, nor had the chap up the ladder or then man collecting his daughter from school. I was despondant and drove in a big loop following the direction I had last been given, but they were nowhere to be found. I reluctantly went home and checked my phone again - there was a message from the labrador lady saying she had cornered them in someones garden - I quickly rang her back - they were still there and I rushed out to meet her.
They looked and smelled like they had been swimming in slurry - black and sticky up to their eyeballs ! More embarrassment - they were in someone's garden as just as I was about to retrieve them the owner came home - I gave her my phone number and offered to make good any damage. They jumped into my car and were safe at last and I disolved into tears.

I took them home and had to leave them all smelly with no dinner as I was already late for work.

Thalice roused herself momentarily and dropped off back to sleep as if nothing had happened.

I wonder what she dreams about......?

No comments: